Sunday, August 03, 2008

Negotiating potholes

This weekend seems to have brought more than our fare share of potholes (life's, not the road's). On Friday, we got a call from the ToB's insurance assessor, who will be coming out to assess damages on Wed. morning. What to do!? Put things back, or not? So we've put enough things back to use the washer/dryer (thank goodness!), have our 'pantry' set up, and use the deep freeze. JAC has about 1/2 of his workbench back, which is somewhat useful, but the toys and stuff are still all stacked up. Do we get an estimate or 3 for repairing the damage? Do we find out how much a sump pump will cost to have installed (with battery backup?). No clear answers...

On Saturday Katherine came for a sleepover, inspiring B to want to take up cheer leading. Where's the eye-popping smilie??? I don't think it's completely inappropriate, but it IS a stretch for me, who has moved so far from mainstream to condone cheer leading as an appropriate after-school activity. And it means giving up (at least temporarily) Aikido, which both JAC and I feel is really super useful for her. AND it's 4x/week for the next 4 weeks, then it's 2x/week for 11 weeks, plus weekend games and competitions. WHERE's that smilie? So negotiations began. It wasn't all pretty, but we've agreed that she has to reach purple belt (about 2 more years) before she can quit Aikido, and that cheer will be an option at that time. Additionally, she has to have awesome school work and be doing her chores regularly at home before she's up for consideration. It's my hope that by then she's too far behind the gang to start it...though I'm sure she'll hold that against me/us.

On Sunday I decided that sitting at the pool w/Ori climbing on me for 2+hrs. every day for the next five days (even with all the books, puzzles, games, cars, etc. that I bring each time) is just NOT working for me. So I went to WF (wallfart) and picked up a DS with a few games. Since B left the PSP on the train in NYC, I figured out a way to get through the next few months w/out her sneaking/lying about the DS - she can't use it at ALL until Oct. 16th. After that, she can EARN it and use it WITH PERMISSION from JAC or me.

Next we negotiate with Ori about riding his bike in the street (as his neighbor friends and sister do), because at 3 he's the youngest, least experienced rider. They do look out for him, but given his attitude, it does take a parent to keep him safe.



These kinds of potholes can sure sap the life outta your tires.

No comments: